Fail-Proof Expository Essay Topics For College: An Original Collection
An expository essay is in some ways pretty simple. Of course you need to research and write well but the basic premise of this type of essay should suit just about every student. Never has the selection of the specific topic been so important. Never will you have a better chance to cherry pick exactly what you like and are good at. If the advice about writing is that you should write about what you know, then this type of essay is ideal.
You are explaining something. You are telling the reader what something is - as in a definition. Or you are explaining how something came into being, how it works, what it means or how it has caused an impact on the world.
It’s the ideal type of essay in which to write about something you know, love or have some expertise in. Choose well because if you have a passion for the topic, chances are you will produce a gripping essay.
The key word in the title of this essay is ‘fail-proof’. It might sound like a big claim but if you follow the advice above, chances are you will come up with the goods. Choose the right topic, research well, use the tried and tested structure of introduction, fact paragraphs and conclusion and stick to the topic. Avoid unrelated facts and commentary. It’s a bit like the old-fashioned advice to a budding reporter. Ask who, what, when, how and why and go from there.v
Here are some essay topics you might care to choose. You could use the list to spark ideas for other topics.
- What is the history of your school or college?
- Who is the most famous person in your town and why?
- What is the ideal diet to help you maintain good fitness and wellbeing?
- Describe how your favourite machine works.
- Describe what you can with your favourite piece of software.
- What’s the best way to build a true and lasting friendship?
- How can you gain entry to the college of your dreams?
- What is your all-time favourite book and why?
- Describe the bad habits which can handicap your studies.
- Explain the basic rules of your favourite sport.
- What are the basic steps to help you successfully manage your finances?
- Why should everyone learn basic first-aid?
- What are the best tips to successfully handle a job interview?
- How to find and keep an ideal person to share your place?
- What is good and bad about so many media outlets in today’s society?
- Why should students learn as much about technology as possible?